Monday, January 21, 2019

Message Sixty Six

I visited my mother this weekend.  Elizabeth suggested I should get some fresh air away from the hospital.  It's good to take your daughter's advice.

Liz said she has had moments of acute frustration.  It's very difficult to find solitude on a busy ward.  She went to the gym to get away from it all and let it out.  Four loving nurses chased after her to check she was ok.  They were understanding and know that there are things that just have to be born alone.

Elizabeth continues to be strong. Our Indonesian friends visited.  We feel privileged to have such an international family. 

Liz showed me her 'banana boarding' this evening.  This is moving from one chair to another chair, or her bed, with the aid of a strong curved piece of plastic, a 'boarding ramp'.  It was quick and slick.  Moving from hoist to banana board is like the technological shift from steam power to electricity.

Tomorrow, as Elizabeth got her OT to put on her wall chart, is 'stabby stabby' (as opposed to 'splish splash', which is hydrotherapy).  Liz will have a course of botox in her left arm to relax the tension in the muscles and allow the possibility for other movements to come to the fore.  Today, she showed me how the left sided movement is progressing with what looked distinctly like a naval salute.  Joanna noted this looked more appropriate than  'Sieg Heil'.




1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth is so strong and I'm really pleased to hear her left arm has increasing movement. Tejal ❤

    ReplyDelete

Message Eighty Eight (the END... and a beginning)

I've decided to take up the mantle and write the blog myself. I've started a new one because I didn't want to write for my own t...