Friday, December 14, 2018

Message Fifty Three

There was a bit of a kerfuffle on Monday.  Should Elizabeth have been allowed to eat rice?  Liz was philosophical.  "I will soon, so I don't mind waiting."  But it was a confusion.  After some debate with the Speech Therapist, it was agreed she can eat rice.  So now she can take advantage of perhaps one of the most internationally varied hospital diets outside of London.  Caribbean is not on the soft food menu so she could use it to celebrate when she passes onto a normal diet. Liz still has the PEG, but its days are numbered.  Apparently the mix she is now receiving through it is largely water.

We are all aware that changes are occurring very slowly in Elizabeth's left side.  Elizabeth continues to be positive, and is really encouraged by her many visitors from every walk of life.  Two of her old 6th form teachers visited yesterday which was really special.  Liz said I am now 'teacher,s pet' on the ward.  We discussed the graphic  novel 'Blankets' Susanna (old school friend) gave her which she has now finished. 

We are planning Christmas visits  at the moment with the promise of having the ward virtually to ourselves. Several patients will be going home for the holiday. We are looking forward to the Christmas Elf costume that has been ordered so that Elizabeth can be 'Santa's little helper'!

Meanwhile, Joanna is in Durham with her cousin for a few days, enjoying the end of term festivities at the university.







2 comments:

  1. I am so heartened to hear of the changes in Liz's left side and that she is now almost eating. My love will always be with her. Tejal ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to imagine purées of somosa, callaloo, and couscous. Bon appetit! بالهناء والشفاء

    ReplyDelete

Message Eighty Eight (the END... and a beginning)

I've decided to take up the mantle and write the blog myself. I've started a new one because I didn't want to write for my own t...