Saturday, December 8, 2018

Message Fifty One

Liz has been enjoying her food.  It all looks quite strange after it's been through the blender.  Dal and rice seems the most normal, but the rice looks like very white mashed potato.  Quite a few people have had the honour of helping Liz to eat including Taiyeba today. Liz can feed herself, but a shaking right hand means a lot of it falls on her lap.

The physios also gave her a new toy.  It's a microstimulator.  She has two areas marked out on her left arm where the electric pads are placed.  Then at roughly 20 second intervals her muscles are stimulated and her left hand rises in a royal wave.  This helps to keep the muscles active as her brain unravels the amazing complex of nerves that all need reconnecting.  It reminds me of seeing an engineer working on a telecoms junction box in the street.

Liz had eleven visitors today which was really special.  Dorothy and Min came from Sheffield.  Anna's parents, Sara and Bill visited.  Both they and Dorothy had seen Liz at the beginning of this journey.  Their visit was so different today, with a sense of fun and hope on the ward. It was lovely also to see Phoebe, Elisheba's sister, who drove over to meet with Joanna.

Liz and I also visited the BIU today to see her old friends/nurses.  E had bought her a small gift, which was very touching.  Liz said how strange it is that some of these people feel like friends, but they are also professionals.
Liz's left hand rises straight up

Making sense of the neurons

2 comments:

  1. I'll find you some fufu when I'm back- that's grounded rice and it's eaten with sauce all over West Africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about FUFU from my Ghanaian students... it sounds fun.
    So glad you are eating well Liz.
    God knows all our neurons and how they work...He knows all you are going through good and bad... Keep on going :-)
    Praying for new strength every day :-)
    Love PennyB

    ReplyDelete

Message Eighty Eight (the END... and a beginning)

I've decided to take up the mantle and write the blog myself. I've started a new one because I didn't want to write for my own t...